Soundproofing Granny Flats – 6 Useful Tips
At Granny Flats Sydney, we focus on increasing granny flat rentals. Soundproofing is often neglected when designing new granny flats. When you’re building two dwellings close together, soundproofing is even more important due to:
1. Proximity. Backyard cabins are best built away from the main dwelling.
2. It’s Party Time! Want a few friends over for dinner and drinks? Soundproofing can avoid nasty confrontations at 2 am on a Saturday morning.
3. Appeal. Soundproofing is an excellent advertisement for new tenants. If they know the granny flat is sound proofed, they’ll be more likely to choose you over the competition.
Six Methods of Soundproofing
1. Maximum Distance - The further apart the dwellings are from each other, the less sound is propagated between them. Of course this is not always possible.
2. Existing Obstacles – The second method involves siting your new granny flat behind things like garages, sheds, trees and fences. The added bonus here is that it costs the least amount to achieve.
3. New Obstacles – The third method involves putting up new barriers like, pencil pines, fences, shrubs and garden sheds.
4. The External Facade- The fourth method is to construct the granny flat in brick or concrete blocks. There are various acoustic products o the market nowadays. This is more expensive though and the look doensn’t suit every property.
5. Windows – The fifth method is to minimise windows facing the main dwelling. Another option is to use double glazing on windows. This latter can be quite expensive.
6. Insulation – This sixth method is great when designing new granny flats. Acoustically insulated batts are only mildly more expensive than ‘normal’ ones and provide excellent sound absorption.
The best method for sound insulation is to combine two or more of the above mentioned methods. If you can provide fencing, trees, a brick facade and over five meters between the dwellings, you’ll get excellent privacy between your tenants. We talk more about the importance of creating privacy and separation HERE.
Making your Tenants Happy
Making your tenants happy means less occupancy rates. A comfortable tenant won’t want to leave. It’s as simple as that. So when you’re designing your new granny flat, give some thought to increasing the soundproofing. This often overlooked topic can make all the difference in enhancing your overall project. If you choose us to build your new granny flat, you can rest assured that we think of everything that will enhance your granny flat.
We hope this guide helps you to think about ways to enhance the privacy for your tenants and maximise the appeal of your new granny flat.
Serge Panayi – Granny Flats Sydney (NSW) Pty Ltd